axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Opatha <topa...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: WSDL with attachments
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:57:24 GMT
I agree SOAP with (MIME) Attachment is probably more interoperable than DIME.

However, keep in mind that WS-I BP 1.1 has a SOAP Attachment Profile 1.0
finalized since last year.

I believe currently WS-BP 1.1 is being supported by some commercial SOAP vendors with SOAP
Attachment Profile 1.0.

However, AXIS does not support WS-BP 1.1 nor does it support SOAP
Attachment Profile; this support will be available in AXIS 2.0.

On the other hand, in gSOAP there seem to be some support for WS-BP 1.1.

I think it was a mistake for AXIS 1.2 not to have support for WS BP 1.1.

AXIS 2 may be months (or who knows may be more than a year) from being released as final release,
and having such support AXIS 1.x would have
been a great opportunity towards interoperable web services.

-----Original Message-----
From: Agarwal, Naresh [mailto:nagarwal@informatica.com]
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 10:39 PM
To: axis-user@ws.apache.org; Thilina Gunarathne
Subject: RE: WSDL with attachments

I need a clarification on this topic -

For SOAP v1.1, there are two standards for attachments - MIME (aka SwA) and DIME. WS-I has
recommended MIME.  Is DIME popular among the vendors other than Microsoft? Does SOAP/WebServices
vendors (other than Microsoft) supports DIME?

For SOAP v1.2, MTOM will be the standard for attachment. Will MTOM replace MIME and DIME in
SOAP 1.2?

thanks,
Naresh