axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Fremantle <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Google Summer Student Project with Axis2
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2005 08:37:10 GMT
Srinath/ Mark

Nice idea. This is a hot area as the W3C are putting some effort into
binary XML right now. In addition to the links listed, I suggest you
look at Dennis Sosnoski's XBIS (http://xbis.sourceforge.net/) and the
cbXML proposal from IBM.
(http://www.w3.org/2003/08/binary-interchange-workshop/presentations-ibm-cbxml.pdf
and http://www.w3.org/2003/08/binary-interchange-workshop/19-IBM-IBMPositionPaperBinaryXMLWorkshop-updated.html

In fact you can find a lot of data  here
http://www.w3.org/2003/08/binary-interchange-workshop/Report.html#papers

Another reason this could be very important:

My belief is that binary XML infoset only shows its real benefit with
a typed pull parser. The reason: suppose you have a binary encoding of
an integer, and then you use a string-based parser, you will end up
decoding the binary into an int, converting to a string for the parser
API and then back to an int in the deserialisation code.

So we won't really know how fast binary XML is until we try it on a
platform like Axis2.

Paul