axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Johnson <e...@tibco.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2]Proposal for Axis2 0.9 and Axis2 1.0
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:48:20 GMT
I'm following the Apache Axis 2.0 project with some interest.  At this
time, though, I find I cannot recommend it for use at my company for at
least the following reasons:

    * Need better documentation on how to use - something like the
      Apache Axis 1.X tutorials would help.  The current docs seem to
      trail off at some critical points, and are very developer, rather
      than user focused. (I note that Glen Daniel's recent presentation
      had some useful content.)
    * Missing documentation on how to migrate from Axis 1.X
    * No demostration of Axis 1.X interoperability
    * AXIOM seems unproven.  Showing how you can use AXIOM separate from
      its use in Axis would help prove its value.  Also, it strikes me
      that some genuine benchmarks comparing the raw performance of
      Xerces DOM with AXIOM might be revealing.

I'm not meaning to cause argument.  Rather, I'm looking to trigger a
discussion of what sorts of documentation, if any, should be included as
part of the "features" list, 'cause I know that more documentation will
help some people out.

I'll even contribute if I can, although I don't know how likely that is.

-Eric.