axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2] What should we have in AXIOM ?
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:36:51 GMT
Dasarath Weeratunge wrote:

>Hi Alek,
>
>have a look at
>https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/axis/trunk/archive/java/scratch/dasarath/om/$1/summary.html
>
>Sorry for the messup with the tabs!

i think you need to modify how you do calculations - having 0 ms timings
means you have either insanely fast or your measurements are not right
and need to be done for more iterations to calculate averages - repeat
calling testAL/LLElement so number of operations for timing (defined as
node creation or node visiting) is more or less constant *independent*
of number of children created / visited

i am surprised to find out that there is method traverse() in *Element()
class - no real application will use it so why to test it?

anyway it is micro micro benchmark and i am generally *extremely*
skeptical about value of such tests ... what is this test supposed to
determine?

how results of this test reflects on SOAP processing (especially with
incremental tree building from input stream)?

i suspect that times spent traversing XML trees is very very small (0
;-)) for any round trip measurements - it would be nice to know what
parts currently takes most of time and then profile/optimize that
instead of doing micro benchmarks on parts that may have no impact on
overall performance ...

alek