axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Fwd: two small doubts
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:33:33 GMT
I'm not directly involved with the Axis2 development, but I personally
believe you're on the right track in setting the focus on a clean,
flexible, and performant core rather than on implementing particular
APIs. The APIs involved in the web services area are so complex and
detailed that they have a major impact on the design. I think this has
really hurt Axis1, where many of the inefficiencies appear to revolve
around the need to maintain compatibility with JAX-RPC and SAAJ. The
focus on APIs seems also to have caused the focus of Axis1 testing to be
on the TCK, rather than on a comprehensive set of usage tests. I suspect
this has a lot to do with the way bugs appear to get fixed in Axis1 but
then pop up again in the next release.

I don't know how easy it will be to layer JAX-RPC, SAAJ, and the growing
crop of related APIs over the Axis2 core, especially since these
standards are still evolving. I suspect most users will just stay with
the core rather than trying to use the layered APIs anyway, though,
especially if your core provides fast and easy web services
implementations that are WSI-BP compliant. I think the real problem here
is that the Java standardization efforts in this area were simply
premature - IMHO we would all have been better served if Sun had simple
released the JAX-RPC RI as a tool rather than a standard. As it is now
we're probably stuck in a cycle like CMP Entity Beans, where it won't be
until 3.0 that we finally have the basis for doing things in a way that
really makes sense for users.

  - Dennis

Dennis M. Sosnoski
Enterprise Java, XML, and Web Services