axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Eran Chinthaka" <chinth...@opensource.lk>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Messaging and Indigo
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:58:02 GMT
Hi Shawn and all,

> Sorry - Resending with prefix.
>
> All -
>
> A few weeks back I posted a message on this list discussing the
> introduction of a low-level messaging model which in return would be
> used to create a higher-level service model.  With the community
> preview release of Microsoft's Indigo platform, I would recommend all
> of those interested in the messaging concept to read through a series
> of blog entries hosted by TheServerSide.Net.
>
> http://www.theserverside.net/blogs/showblog.tss?id=IndigoP1
> http://www.theserverside.net/blogs/showblog.tss?id=IndigoP2
> http://www.theserverside.net/blogs/showblog.tss?id=IndigoP3
>
> The programming model presented in those series of articles captures
> much of my intent in the original email.
>
> We discussed the value of WSA on the thread relating to an SMTP
> transport.  I reiterate my position that WSA is fundamental to a WS
> Messaging platform (required for async messaging), and it appears that
> Microsoft has baked it directly into Indigo.  We should make it
> extremely easy to explicitly set addressing information if need be.

I also agree with you about addressing support for async messaging. But
IMHO, sync messaging should not depend on addressing. (I think I've
mentioned this in one of my earlier emails as well.)

Anyway, the current Axis 2 has built in WSA support. The system is such
that, the engine *does not* depend on WSA. It works on set of parameters,
which are just like things found in WSA (see
MessageInformationHeadersCollection in the MessageContext). If addressing is
available a handler will fill the correct params, unknown to engine.

> One thing I did like was their nomenclature.  They removed references
> to client - server to really reiterate the fact that services act as
> peers through the exchange of messages with one another.

I'm also +1 for having peer concept, rather than having client-server.

When you look in to the third part of the tutorial u've mentioned above (the
purchase order example), for me it seems like Indigo has gone one step
further and it has tried to implement a business process engine.
It seems like Indigo has burnt in a BPEL like engine as well.

I'm not saying that it's bad, but what I feel is current Axis is just a web
service engine and a BPEL engine is step ahead of that.

But I also like to see Axis having a BPEL engine, but will it be achievable
in Axis 2 ?? Perhaps in Axis 3 or 4. :) :) :)

Regards,
Eran Chinthaka