axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Eran Chinthaka" <chinth...@opensource.lk>
Subject [Axis2] SOAP 1.1 and/or 1.2
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2005 05:49:59 GMT
Hi,

We implemented a SOAP layer on top of OM using the SOAPBuilder. But it was
in accordance with SOAP 1.1. But now I think its time to support SOAP 1.2 as
well. There we have a problem as some of the things are bit different in 1.2
compared to 1.1. (see here
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part0-20030624/#L4697)

For example; SOAP fault element has many difference between these two.

And there are some name changes as well. For example actor has changed to
role. So I have a problem which method to use. Is it getRole() or getActor()
I should use ? or put both ?

When u think about handlers accessing the SOAP message using OM, one might
write there code to comply with SOAP 1.1 and whilst other with SOAP 1.2.

If you put a method like getRole, well that can be used to return actor for
SOAP 1.1. But is it ok ?

Plus, there are some specific information available in SOAP faults. In 1.2
Code and Reason are mandatory and the element hierarchy there is different
to (of more informative) than SOAP 1.1.

So how do we support both ... ??

Option 1 : Having two SOAP builders for SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2. But then
handler writers will have to have a big if.. else ..

Option 2 : Support SOAP 1.2 only and if there is something missing, user
(handler writer or any other accessing SOAP), must take care of that.

Option 3 : .... ??

I'd like to see a very convenient API for user to manipulate the SOAP
message using OM.

Comments/ Thoughts ..

Regards,

Eran Chinthaka