axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Srinath Perera <hemap...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Dig in to Axis 2
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:58:32 GMT
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:54:37 -0500, Anderson Jonathan
<ANDERSON_JONATHAN@bah.com> wrote:
> Eran, Axis 2 Developers:
>
> It's fantastic to see such tremendous progress on Axis2.  Might I make a
> suggestion?  I've always found it difficult to determine the relationship
> between the pure JAX-RPC+SAAJ 1.x specs and the Axis 1.x code base.  When it
> comes time for a release, can someone detail on the wiki or in the
> documentation how Axis2 implements JAX-RPC 2.0?  What I'm looking for is an
> explanation of Axis2 architecture in such a context so that I can see how it
> maps to parts of the JAX-RPC 2.0 specification.  If there are any
> significant deltas or value-added features over and above the specification,
> I'd like to see them spelled out as well.
As far as the Axis2 M1 is concerned it is a core of the anticipated
Axis2.0. The Axis2 M1 do not have JAX-RPC or other WS java spec
support build in. This was the view of the developers at the Axis2
Summit.

But we will make sure that the JAXRPC2.0 can be layered on top of the
Axis2 yet the core of the Axis2 will have nothing to do with the
JAX-RPC. With JAXRPC layered on top of AXIS there may be a performance
penalty involved.

> Likewise, if the Axis2 mentality is: "wow, JAX-RPC 2.0 really stinks, we're
> building something better" I would LOVE to see that documented somewhere so
> that I could understand the differences between the Axis2 and the
> forthcoming JAX-RPC 2.0 SI/RI.  I've always struggled to answer "why do you
> use Axis over JWSDP 1.x?"

As stated earlier the the core of the Aixs2 do not have JAX-RPC or
SAAJ. It build on OM (A streaming XML infoset that supports differed
building and the xml pull event generation).  It's handlers are bit
different .. but both can be wrapped to build JAX-RPC on top.

Thanks
Srinath