axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Re: Full infoset support
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 08:08:57 GMT
Eran Chinthaka wrote:

>>>for me it is: AXIOM API must support XML Infoset and allow an API
>>>implementation that implements all XML infoset if it finds it necessary
>>>but default OM implementation is optimized for SOAP.
>>>
>>>i think Web Services are more than just SOAP and precluding use of
>>>XML/HTTP would be an error (especially that it is so easy to support).
>>>
>>>the only parts of XML Infoset that we may not want to support are those
>>>not required by SOAP (mostly related to PIs and DTDs as they are
>>>prohibited in SOAP 1.2 message for details see
>>>http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapenv - anything more excluded? and
>>>comments are allowed just not inside message but in document ...)
>>>
>>>so think it can be simply done by having DTD related properties
>>>empty/default/null (such as those in
>>>http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.document) and AXIOM impl to
>>>throw exception if it sees DTD (configurable to do so as required for
>>>SOAP 1.2 ...)
>>>

>[Chinthaka] can u all remember the basic concepts we agreed on the summit.
>One is YAGNI and one other is KISS. So if we just create some support for
>DTD and PI and just throw an exception, isn't it YAGNI or violating KISS
>???????

i regard  XML infoset API as _fundamental_ (so it is YAGNI) and not
something that can be simplified, omitted, or further KISSed.

this is different from actual OM impls that may chose to not support
something in XML Infoset and throw exception (like in case of SOAP)

therefore i do not think we differ much - i think XML Infoset API such
as AXIOM should be reflecting XML Infoset element information items and
properties but implementations can be optimized for subset of XML
Infoset (such as SOAP 1.2 or 1.1).

however i do not see any considerable gains by fusing SOAP and XML
Infoset APIs together but it will make things bigger and more
complicated ...

alek