axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <>
Subject [Axis2] Re: Full infoset support
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:03:47 GMT
i know i may be PITA but please do put [Axis2] somewhere in email
subject ...

my reply is below.

Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Since this issue was taken up in the last IRC session and ended with
>no conclusion, I suppose we should talks about this seriously and take
>a decision. So I am going to put forward the qeustion in simple terms
>and put up my answer with reasons.
>Q - Do we need full XML infoset support with OM?
>A - No.
please define what is exactly full XML infoset support?

for me it is: AXIOM API must support XML Infoset and allow an API
implementation that implements all XML infoset if it finds it necessary
but default OM implementation is optimized for SOAP.

i think Web Services are more than just SOAP and precluding use of
XML/HTTP would be an error (especially that it is so easy to support).

the only parts of XML Infoset that we may not want to support are those
not required by SOAP (mostly related to PIs and DTDs as they are
prohibited in SOAP 1.2 message for details see - anything more excluded? and
comments are allowed just not inside message but in document ...)

so think it can be simply done by having DTD related properties
empty/default/null (such as those in and AXIOM impl to
throw exception if it sees DTD (configurable to do so as required for
SOAP 1.2 ...)

this is very quick analysis - let me know if i missed something.