axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Eran Chinthaka" <chinth...@opensource.lk>
Subject RE: [Axis2] Re: Full infoset support
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:37:14 GMT

>>i know i may be PITA but please do put [Axis2] somewhere in email
>>subject ...
[Chinthaka] Alek, Axis2 was there in the subject. My email filters got it
correct.

>>my reply is below.
>>
>>Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
>>
>>>Since this issue was taken up in the last IRC session and ended with
>>>no conclusion, I suppose we should talks about this seriously and take
>>>a decision. So I am going to put forward the qeustion in simple terms
>>>and put up my answer with reasons.
>>>
>>>Q - Do we need full XML infoset support with OM?
>>>
>>>A - No.
>>>

>>please define what is exactly full XML infoset support?
>>
>>for me it is: AXIOM API must support XML Infoset and allow an API
>>implementation that implements all XML infoset if it finds it necessary
>>but default OM implementation is optimized for SOAP.
>>
>>i think Web Services are more than just SOAP and precluding use of
>>XML/HTTP would be an error (especially that it is so easy to support).
>>
>>the only parts of XML Infoset that we may not want to support are those
>>not required by SOAP (mostly related to PIs and DTDs as they are
>>prohibited in SOAP 1.2 message for details see
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part1/#soapenv - anything more excluded? and
>>comments are allowed just not inside message but in document ...)
>>
>>so think it can be simply done by having DTD related properties
>>empty/default/null (such as those in
>>http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset/#infoitem.document) and AXIOM impl to
>>throw exception if it sees DTD (configurable to do so as required for
>>SOAP 1.2 ...)

[Chinthaka] can u all remember the basic concepts we agreed on the summit.
One is YAGNI and one other is KISS. So if we just create some support for
DTD and PI and just throw an exception, isn't it YAGNI or violating KISS
???????

Thankx,

Eran Chinthaka