axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SAAJ 1.2 not implemented yet ?!?!
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:05:33 GMT
Venkat,

Can you please review the code once more for SAAJ loopholes?

thanks,
dims

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:48:28 -0500, Davanum Srinivas <davanum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can tell u where to start...Start with a junit test case (say
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ws-axis/java/test/saaj/TestText.java),
> then make changes to it which are similar to what you want to do (run
> a xsl on the dom Element? and/or exercise the getAttributeNode method
> itself) then see if you can come up with a patch (or) just open a jira
> bug report with just the test case itself.
>
> thanks,
> dims
>

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:12:58 -0500, Mark D. Hansen
> <m.hansen23@verizon.net> wrote:
> > I just wasted a day trying to figure out what was causing a Xalan NPE deep inside
my Axis application.  Since I'm casting MessageElements to org.w3c.dom.Element all the time,
I am supposing the SAAJ 1.2 is implemented.

> > After posting for help to the Xalan mail list (and wasting the time of some good
people who tried to help me), I decided to take a closer look at what was going on with MessageElement.
 Digging into the source code, I find this:

> >     /**
> >      * This unimplemented operation is meand to return an attribute as a node
> >      * @see org.w3c.dom.Element#getAttributeNode(String)
> >      * @param attrName
> >      * @return null, always.
> >      * @todo Fix this for SAAJ 1.2 Implementation. marked as deprecated to warn
people
> >      * it is broken
> >      * @deprecated this is not implemented
> >      */
> >     public Attr getAttributeNode(String attrName) {
> >         return null;
> >     }
> >
> > So SAAJ 1.2 is no longer working!?!  I see that the method is marked as deprecated,
but to have saved myself the lost day of work and aggrevation, I would have had to compile
the src and actually pay attention to the deprecation warnings.

> > Of course, I should have read the release-notes.html for RC2, so I go there afterward
to see what else I missed.  The only thing about SAAJ that I find is this:

> > (in bold) "This version has passed the JAX-RPC 1.1 and SAAJ 1.2 TCKs"
> >
> > I'm sure that is true, but kind of misleading given the state of the getAttributeNode(...)
methods in MessageElement.

> > I hate to flame like this, because I appreciate what a huge amount of work it is
to keep Axis moving forward.  Also, I'd like to submit a patch to fix this stuff - but I don't
understand the MessageElement class well enough to do that.  So, I guess that I am just frustrated.
 I'd like to keep using Axis, but stuff like this is really getting me down.