axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SAAJ 1.2 not implemented yet ?!?!
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2004 20:48:28 GMT
I can tell u where to start...Start with a junit test case (say
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ws-axis/java/test/saaj/TestText.java),
then make changes to it which are similar to what you want to do (run
a xsl on the dom Element? and/or exercise the getAttributeNode method
itself) then see if you can come up with a patch (or) just open a jira
bug report with just the test case itself.

thanks,
dims

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:12:58 -0500, Mark D. Hansen
<m.hansen23@verizon.net> wrote:
> I just wasted a day trying to figure out what was causing a Xalan NPE deep inside my
Axis application.  Since I'm casting MessageElements to org.w3c.dom.Element all the time,
I am supposing the SAAJ 1.2 is implemented.

> After posting for help to the Xalan mail list (and wasting the time of some good people
who tried to help me), I decided to take a closer look at what was going on with MessageElement.
 Digging into the source code, I find this:

>     /**
>      * This unimplemented operation is meand to return an attribute as a node
>      * @see org.w3c.dom.Element#getAttributeNode(String)
>      * @param attrName
>      * @return null, always.
>      * @todo Fix this for SAAJ 1.2 Implementation. marked as deprecated to warn people
>      * it is broken
>      * @deprecated this is not implemented
>      */
>     public Attr getAttributeNode(String attrName) {
>         return null;
>     }
>
> So SAAJ 1.2 is no longer working!?!  I see that the method is marked as deprecated, but
to have saved myself the lost day of work and aggrevation, I would have had to compile the
src and actually pay attention to the deprecation warnings.

> Of course, I should have read the release-notes.html for RC2, so I go there afterward
to see what else I missed.  The only thing about SAAJ that I find is this:

> (in bold) "This version has passed the JAX-RPC 1.1 and SAAJ 1.2 TCKs"
>
> I'm sure that is true, but kind of misleading given the state of the getAttributeNode(...)
methods in MessageElement.

> I hate to flame like this, because I appreciate what a huge amount of work it is to keep
Axis moving forward.  Also, I'd like to submit a patch to fix this stuff - but I don't understand
the MessageElement class well enough to do that.  So, I guess that I am just frustrated.
I'd like to keep using Axis, but stuff like this is really getting me down.