axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:35:48 GMT
My pref would be to do option 1, but have it work only for SOAP 1.1 for
M1. Long term we'll have to support both ..

Sanjiva.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Eran Chinthaka
  To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 12:15 PM
  Subject: [Axis2] SOAP 1.1 and SOAP 1.2

  Hi,

  Glen has pointed out some changes for the names of some of the methods in OM API.

  Some of them were the changes introduced in SOAP 1.2. For example, Actor à Role. And some
changes in SOAP fault names.

  There are some differences like this between two specs. My question is which one we gonna
use for our APIs. Currently we have SOAP 1.1 specific things.

  Option 1:

              We can have getRole to function differently depending on the SOAP version. i.e.
it will look for "role" attr, if SOAP version is 1.2, or for "actor" if version is 1.1.

  Option 2 :

              Have two methods getRole and getActor. Only one will function for a particular
SOAP message.

  Option 3 :

              Support only one spec. if yes, which spec.

              Even though SOAP 1.2 is the future, most of the people will still use SOAP 1.1
messages.

  Option 4 :

              ????

  I think its better to have a short term decision for M1 and a long term decision for Axis
2.

  Thoughts, Comments ??

  Eran Chinthaka

  Lanka Software Foundation