axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <>
Subject Re: [Axis2][OM] SAAJ like (?) API review
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 21:09:16 GMT
"Ajith Ranabahu" <> writes:
> Even though this is a bit late for this we thought that a proper
> review should be done about the proposed "SAAJ like" API for OM before
> we move on.
> Here are the comments.
> 1. The classes must be properly packaged. here are the suggested packages
>     * SOAPxx classes should go into package

Having implies that OM isn't SOAP specific. Isn't it
indeed SOAP specific? If so I suggest just using*.
> 2.MIME classes should not be there. (what are doing inside the OM in
> the first place??) MIME should be handled in a lower layer and it has
> nothing to do with OM.
> 3. How to handle the binary objects? Don't we need a binary node ?

We should plan on doing MIME via XOP + MTOM. So to support that
properly I believe we will need some kind of a BinaryNode thing
which retains the binary in native form in memory and serializes
to Base64Binary, HexBinary or MIME.

If we are reading something that looks like
    <foo xsi:type="xsd:base64Binary">...</foo>
then we'd create a binary node containing the un-base64'd bytes
most probably. If the xsi:type is not there or if the typed
reading method isn't called then we'd have to treat the node
as a straight text node.

The BinaryNode impl could use JavaMail DataHandler stuff etc. for
efficient impl to enable large objects etc..

For a start I suggest having a BinaryNode thing and not paying
too much attention beyond that for XOP/MTOM support. I am quite
confident that's all that's going to be necessary!

View raw message