axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <>
Subject Re: [Axis2] - OM and MTOM
Date Thu, 28 Oct 2004 05:23:53 GMT
Eran Chinthaka wrote:

> Can we introduce a OMBinaryNode to OM to represent the base64 which
> are MTOM compliant.
> But I have a problem of identifying optimized and un-optimized data in
> the parser level. Can we represent everything as Strings, whether
> optimized or unoptimized. The Element having the base64 data **may**
> have some information in its attributes to identify. But do we have to
> check all the elements for this, and what if the element do not have
> those info, but contains base64 data.
i think we do we have to check it and we have to handle this *during*
parsing of HTTP/MIME/whatever.

> Thoughts & Comments ...... ??
i think MTOM optimized node should allow to keep binary data directly or
indirectly, whole or in parts (maybe by having byte[], memory or file
backed store? abstracted through common interface) as its child and
produce BASE64 *only* when non-MTOM API is used (such as handler that
uses only DOM API).

this way element name/namespace and attributes are available only
content (element immediate child) is internally kept as binary.

so the important part would be to allow handling very large binary data
(exceeding virtual memory size) such that only small chunks are ever in
memory unless API is requested to load whole binary data in memory.

how does this sound?