axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Silvano Maffeis <>
Subject Serializer bug with WSDL sequences holding 0 elements?
Date Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:25:37 GMT

Can somebody pleas help clarifying this issue? I'm not sure
whether its a bug or a feature 8-}

In Axis 1.2 RC1 I defined the following WSDL sequence:

<complexType name="StringArray">
        <element name="string" type="string" minOccurs="0"

as well as a simple "ping" operation returning a StringArray:

<wsdl:message name="PingRequest">

<wsdl:message name="PingResponse">
    <wsdl:part name="out" type="StringArray"/>

Now, if my WebService returns a StringArray holding a zero sized

return new StringArray(new String[0])

my "ping" client actually will receive a StringArray holding a null
reference. Meaning, on the client:

StringArray ret =;
ret.getString() is null

I would rather expect my client to also receive a StringArray bearing a

Is this a bug or a feature?

View raw message