axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: ws-axis/java/src/org/apache/axis/transport/http CommonsHTTPSender.java
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:31:00 GMT
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:46:15 -0700, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com>
wrote:

 > What's up with this?  This seems kind of broken to me - layering
violation
 > and all.  Why are we putting the HTTP error code inside the SOAP
message??
 > We should never have been doing this, and the HTTP error code is
available
 > in a well-known property name in the MessageContext if you want to
get it.

 > -0.75
 >
 > --G

I wrote the original bit way back, and am prepared to justify it.

1. it lets client systems find out what went wrong on any invocation
where they get an AxisFault back
2. it doesnt get included on other transports.
3. its very useful dealing with things like proxy quirks, security, etc.
4. it propagates. If you nest a SOAPFault in another soapfault, the
underlying cause is still there.
Useful on more complex systems.

-steve