axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] OM API review/changes
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:46:07 GMT
"Aleksander Slominski" <aslom@cs.indiana.edu> writes:
> i agree that API should be easy to use but we need to strive for a
> balance and be careful to have necessary methods to make API easy to
> use  (but not too many) and to allow use of immutable objects that can
> be shared (such as the same namespace) between multiple elements leading
> to lower memory usage.

I'm confused .. we obviously need to create the OM too. Are we
talking about disallowing one to *modify* an already created tree
instead of about having methods to create a new OM?

If so I'm ok with having the OM be immutable at least initially.
That should give us maximum performance and if you really want
to modify the OM then you have to re-generate it. That may bite
us badly when dealing with encrypted headers but we can delay
that a bit I think. (Decryption will be so slow that creating
a new OM will not be a problem :)) However, we should be able
to re-parent OM nodes I think.

Sanjiva.