axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: AXIS with JDK 1.5
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:52:18 GMT
Hi,

> We are using AXIS 1.1 and recently moved onto using JDK 1.5 (build
> 1.5.0-beta2-b51)
> When I compile my WSDL2Java generated code there are warnings
> about 'enum'. Axis has package org.apache.axis.enum which
> conflicts with 'enum' keyword. With strict checking this
> would not compile.

The current Axis 1.2 stream is not compilable with J2SE 5 due to some
conflicts like what you pointed out. I personally made "Axis for Tiger",
which is able to be built on Tiger, but it will go to Axis 2. Apart from the
enum trouble, SAAJ part is also problematic because Tiger's DOM level is 3
while that of SAAJ 1.2 is 2. Now Sun, who is responsible for maintaining
SAAJ spec, is considering how to solve the problem. For the present, it's
hard to predict which kind of form, for example, SAAJ 1.3 maintenance spec
or SAAJ NG spec is selected for the solution.

However, it is interesting that actually you can make a SAAJ 1.2
implementation support DOM level 3 with spec update, i.e., no SAAJ 1.2 API
changes. In this case, the problem is that Axis SAAJ implementation will
have some extra methods that are unnecessary and hence probably unused.

Axis developers, what do you think of this issue? Making Axis 1.2 compilable
by Tiger or put off the job to Axis 2 or any approach else?

Thanks,

Ias

P.S. dims, this message reminded me that you were going to organize
ws-axis/java directory, in particular, test and samples described at Axis 2
wiki page :-)