axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: AXIS with JDK 1.5
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:25:09 GMT
> Hi,

> > We are using AXIS 1.1 and recently moved onto using JDK 1.5 (build
> > 1.5.0-beta2-b51)
> > When I compile my WSDL2Java generated code there are warnings about
> > 'enum'. Axis has package org.apache.axis.enum which conflicts with
> > 'enum' keyword. With strict checking this would not compile.
>
> The current Axis 1.2 stream is not compilable with J2SE 5 due
> to some conflicts like what you pointed out. I personally
> made "Axis for Tiger", which is able to be built on Tiger,
> but it will go to Axis 2. Apart from the enum trouble, SAAJ
> part is also problematic because Tiger's DOM level is 3 while
> that of SAAJ 1.2 is 2. Now Sun, who is responsible for
> maintaining SAAJ spec, is considering how to solve the
> problem. For the present, it's hard to predict which kind of
> form, for example, SAAJ 1.3 maintenance spec or SAAJ NG spec
> is selected for the solution.
>
> However, it is interesting that actually you can make a SAAJ
> 1.2 implementation support DOM level 3 with spec update,
> i.e., no SAAJ 1.2 API changes. In this case, the problem is
> that Axis SAAJ implementation will have some extra methods
> that are unnecessary and hence probably unused.

More specifically, those method newly introduced in DOM level 3 are not
mentioned (and therefore not required) at SAAJ 1.2 spec, so there will be no
apparent harm to the current Axis SAAJ 1.2 impl users if some implementation
for DOM level 3 is added. On the other hand, it's in question whether Axis
users should bear sort of "penalty" for the early DOM level 3 support even
though the burden is not so cumbersome.

Ias