axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Fergusson, Hamish" <Hamish.Fergus...@sabre-holdings.com>
Subject Jibx, jaxb and webservices question
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:16:43 GMT
Hello  All,

I have the following situation and am wondering if any of you can offer any suggestions as
to how to best handle it :

1) I have added a new method to the wsdl and this method basically accepts the given input
and then has to transform/map the data into an xml structure ( not SOAP ) to send to some
other server ( not a Web Service ) and then await a response from this server and map the
xml response back into the java objects ( defined in the wsdl ) to send back to the client
who called my web service.

2) The problem I have here is that there is not a 1 to 1 mapping from the request objects
( defined in my wsdl ) and the xml I have to send to the other server.

I have looked into using jaxb to create java object from the schema of the xml I have to send
to this other server and I could do it that way, but the problem with this solution is that
I have to write additional code to map my java request objects into the corresponding jaxb
generated java objects.  Sounds like a drag to me!

I have also looked into using Jibx.  This looks intriguing, as it looks as if I can bypass
java object to object mapping on the server and basically map the java object from my web
service request straight to the xml I need.  My only concern about Jibx is that it modifies
the byte code.  This sounds dangerous to me and I'm not sure I want to use it.

Do any of you know if Jibx is safe to use or if there are any alternatives that provide jibx
like behavior?

Thanks,

Hamish.