axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject [Axis2] SOAP streamning vs optimized OM (and DOM) [Re: [Axis2][FYI] ActiveSOAP
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2004 06:56:10 GMT
Ias wrote:

>See http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/2004/09/21.html#a506 .
>(I saw Steve's comment :-)
>
>I found that some code of ActiveSOAP, particularly, SoapEndpointServlet and
>SoapService reminded me of what I wrote in my private box for Axis 2 before
>I came in UK. I tried to use StAX to process SOAP message from HTTP servlet,
>and that's exactly ActiveSOAP is now doing. Regarding
>marshalling/unmarshalling between XML instances and Java objects, it shows
>some example for XMLBeans, but surely possible to integrate with JAXB 2.0.
>
>It could be a good reference for Axis 2.

I agree with Chris Fry comments that access to whole envelope for lot of
use cases (!) is a necessity and exposing DOM is also required so i
think AXIS2 AXIOM direction is right on target.

moreover people tend to overestimate importance of streaming for small
messages - when messages are small then performance difference between
streaming and just loading whole SOAP envelope into optimized memory
structure is small or very small  (especially if XML tree model/parser
is optimized for small messages such as XB1/XPP3 in XSOAP/XSUL) but even
for big messages difference may be much smaller (until one runs out of
memory) than expected for example see performance differences between
XSOAP/Java and gSOAP/C++

http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/soap_bench/#perf

i think differences are much much smaller than what is typically assumed ...

thanks,

alek