axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: [Axis2][OM] representing XML Infoset
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:31:28 GMT
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:

>Hi Alek
>Here are few quick thoughts about the interface. Sorry I did not get a
>chance to look at this earlier
>
>1. Methods to create new objects (ex elements) like DOM. Should we
>have this functionality inside our OM as well?

i think they should be provide by different types of builders.

i thought that we may have factory to configure builder(s) to create OM
that is streamable (pull), implements DOM, etc.

>2. Do we need a class for namespace? For instance the om element
>interface has a prefix and a namespace name according
>to the infoset spec. since we are doing a minimal implementation,
>doing this with just a String for now seems to be ok.

i think we need XmlNamespace that are read-only (so can behave like
Strings) and it is good thing as it makes easy to share them and also
can help to make methods easier to use: instead of taking method(String
namespace, String name) you have method(XmlNamespace  namespace, String
name)

>3. Facilities to remove children and change them are indeed useful.
>4. Providing Iterators (in place of any other data structure like a
>List) and defering the parsing is cool :)

i think API should help to make streaming and still be easy to use.

>5. Should we provide two (or morel) ways to do the same thing? For
>example setting the attribute can be done in several ways. Perhaps
>this is just the ease of use but reducing such items will reduce the
>complexity at least in the initial stage.

i think API should be as easy to use as possible.

thanks,

alek