axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <>
Subject RE: working with MessageElement
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:43:55 GMT
> is it me, or is how messageElement works inordinately inefficient. It
> looks like to do something as simple as get the text value beneath an
> element, I have to call getValue() which calls getDocument(), which
> calls getAsString() to serialize the doc, and then it deserialise it.
> this is just excessively convoluted, IMO.
That's exactly what Dr. Ahn, Jongjin, and I have discussed intensively
because we need to extract text data from XML instances in real
applications. (We did some Bancassurance projects using the feature so much
because all the messages between banks and insurance companies are just XML

> there has to be a better way to work with arbitrary incoming XML. For
> the 2.0 timeframe

Absolutely. My colleagues and I have paid great attention to StAX for fast
and effective SOAP message processing. The problem is SAAJ API, of which an
implementation Axis is. Supporting SAAJ interfaces to Axis users and
avoiding "extraordinary inefficiency" simultaneously is what we really want
with Axis 2 and even the current Axis since performance matters in product
use right now.

Thanks for reminding us of the issue,

> -steve

View raw message