axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonny Rylands" <jo...@rylands.biz>
Subject RE: (soap encoding <-> XSD) mapping
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:46:36 GMT
Jim,

Cool, thanks.

Just got a couple more questions if that's OK:

Sorry for my newbie level of understanding (!) but am I right in saying that
the XSD is the language to specify types (in WSDL) whereas SOAP encoding is
the 'language' to specify values (in encoded SOAP messages)?

Hence for a toolkit to fully support XSD when using SOAP encoded services,
you would need a full (Java/C++ etc) implementation XSD simple types and
their facets, plus the complex types allowed in the SOAP encoding spec
(arrays and sequences etc)?

Regards,
Jonny Rylands.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Murphy [mailto:jmurphy@mindreef.com]
Sent: 02 August 2004 22:19
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: (soap encoding <-> XSD) mapping

There is nothing stooping you from adding restriction facets to you WSDL
- in fact it may be a good idea.  The problem is expecting SOAP toolkits
to respect them.  This may not be that big a deal though...just don't
rely on the toolkit providing any of this extra help for you.  If it
helps minimize the client:faults you return because sombody actually
took the time to interpret your schema more fully then cool.

Jim Murphy
Mindreef, Inc.