axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: AXIS-1423 : Peter's test case for performance
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:36:11 GMT

Peter,

This is really good work.  It seems like you really have a handle on how to
reproduce this problem.

Do you have any tools that you could bring to bear on *where* the memory
leak is in the code?  It sure sounds like you are just a single step away
from finding the leak.

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Molettiere [mailto:pietro@axonstudios.net]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 2:27 PM
To: dims@apache.org
Cc: axis-dev@ws.apache.org; Glen Daniels
Subject: Re: AXIS-1423 : Peter's test case for performance

Hey guys,

We set the numbers high to make the problem manifest easily, however,
if you set the return message size smaller, you'll still see the server
side memory leak, it will just take much longer to notice, since you
have to leak much more memory before the serialization/deserialization
overhead (which is itself much smaller due to the smaller message size)
bumps into the max heap size limit.

We're mainly concerned with the server leaking memory, rather than the
large amount of memory used during serialization/deserialization, since
it eventually crashes our server, whereas we can just install more RAM
and increase our heap size to get around the gobs of memory used during
serialization.

--Peter