axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Help Diagnosing Server-Side Problems
Date Fri, 02 Jul 2004 09:21:34 GMT
NYY96@aol.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Your help is invaluable to the progress of our nation! I have a Web
> Service I wrote with Axis running on local tomcat 8080. I wrote a client
> to use the service for which the SOAP Envelope created is perfecto.
> However, once I call the function in the implementation file, the
> service fails and I receive the following exception:
>
> AxisFault
>  faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Server.userException
>  faultSubcode:
>  faultString: java.net.UnknownHostException: locations

that is the problem. Something in Axis (your code perhaps?) is throwing
a java exception; Axis is forwarding it to the client wrapped as a
cross-platform SOAP fault. You have just entered the world of
distributed debugging.

1. Turn to the Global Axis configuration of the reference guide:
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/reference.html

2. find the switch: axis.development.system

3. modify your server WSDD file to set this flag, so that you get a
stack trace sent back over the wire when things go wrong.

you should also get stack traces in the tomcat window, even if this flag
is set to false, but setting this flag means it gets sent over the wire
to the caller.

the other trick is to set a breakpoint on your classes/methods on the
server, and see what happens when they get called.

-steve