axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Molettiere <pie...@axonstudios.net>
Subject Re: When is Axis 1.2 expected to be "final"?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:22:55 GMT

It's fine to try this test using a simple unix POST command, however,
you must make your client send multiple simultaneous requests. We've
done a lot of testing to isolate this server side memory leak, and
found that it only occurs when multiple client requests are being
handled at the same time on the server. You should be able to run all
threads indefinitely without running into a server side OOM error. Just
being able to run all eight threads once doesn't prove the leak isn't
there.

As far as your assertion that you must run the client on a different
machine than the server, I don't see why this is a requirement. I can
run the client with 1G of heap, and the server with 1G of heap, and
still have plenty of physical ram left over for the OS and other apps.
(Yes, I have an insane amount or memory in my machine.) The client and
the server both run in completely separate VMs, so there should be no
issue running the tests this way. If you still think there is a valid
reason for needing to run the test on separate machines, I'm all ears.

As far as your last point about the size of the messages we're dealing
with. This test case is meant to display a server side memory leak, not
that serialization/deserialization in axis uses extreme amounts of
temporary memory (which it does, but we can live with that). The bug
(memory leak on the server) can be replicated with much smaller return
response messages, but it takes longer to notice. We notice pretty
quickly with our application, since we do send dynamic messages of this
size occasionally.

If you run in a profiler, like JProfiler, you'll see the server memory
use growing very plainly.

--Peter