axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Molettiere <pie...@axonstudios.net>
Subject Re: Patch: fix for firewall issue
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 04:47:21 GMT

On Jul 26, 2004, at 7:36 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> To me a big value of open source as it relates to (open) standards is
> that the open source project can support strict adherance to standards.

Sure, I totally agree with you here. Standards make our lives not only
much easier, but they make thing possible that just wouldn't be
otherwise.

> We didn't write that into the SOAP 1.1 spec - it requires it. If we
> bend the rules then we're encouraging loose interpretation of the spec.

Here I think we get to the nub of the issue -- the spec should be
implemented as closely to what is written as possible. But making
software interoperate with other non-compliant devices and software is
sometimes desirable.

> then where will it stop. Just imagine what the Web would be like today
> if Apache HTTPD had been loosy goosey about how it interpreted the HTTP
> protocol? (Or if it supported attempts and embracing and extending the
> protocol?)

No one is talking about being loosey goosey with how the protocol is
interpreted. And, using Apache httpd as the example, there are definite
places where slight accommodations were made in that product to ensure
interoperability with non-compliant software, like IE.

> Exactly and thank you for sending it and pointing it out. This to me is
> the other power of open source - you can go fix it to suit your needs
> yourself. If you had been using some proprietary software from MSFT
> or IBM or Sun or whoever, then you'd be up a creak.

Totally agreed! Which is why we try as much as possible not to use such
proprietary software. We are definitely happy to be using axis --
please don't take my creaking otherwise.

--Peter