axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Glen Daniels <g...@thoughtcraft.com>
Subject Re: When is Axis 1.2 expected to be "final"?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:04:04 GMT
Hi Thomas:

The problem here seems to be that although the WSDL says that there's going
to be an array of "xsd:string", the actual wire message has an arrayType of
"soapenc:string[]".  This is because of the way Axis currently handles type
mappings, which will be getting a full revamp for Axis 2.0.  In particular:
a type mapping for Axis consists of a pair [qname, javaType], which maps an
xml type like "xsd:string" to a java type like "java.lang.String".  The
problem is that arrays are mapped like this: ["myNS:ArrayOfStrings",
"java.lang.String[]"] - in other words, we can map the array type QName to a
Java array class, but then when we want to know what the actual component
type QName is, we do a lookup on the Java class (i.e. java.lang.String).
Since this is an RPC/enc service, String maps to soapenc:string, not
xsd:string, and hence the engine outputs what turns out to be the wrong
arrayType.

The way it SHOULD be working is that XML array types remember the type QName
of their component, and always use that in order to be schema-valid.  Then
we get the Java type from the XML type rather than the other way around.
Unfortunately, I can't fix this now, since it's a major change.

I'm considering giving you a workaround by letting you specify a
"NO_SOAPENC_TYPES" option, which won't map the soapenc types for a given
service (or globally).  But also....

dims, I just noticed the change you made on December 9th to
org.apache.axis.wsdl.fromJava.Types.  With this change, we ALWAYS emit the
type mapping from the default type mapping registry if it exists, and NEVER
the one from the service-specific type mapping - this seems very very bad.
That means if a given service has remapped any of the default types, there
will be an inconsistency between the generated WSDL and the actual runtime
behavior....  This is part of the problem with Thomas' bug, since if the
code were the old way you would see "soapenc:string" in the WSDL instead of
"xsd:string".  I'm putting this back the way it was, which may actually fix
the .NET issue!  If .NET was having a problem because the types didn't
agree, and not because it doesn't support the soapenc types (this actually
seems pretty likely to me, esp if it used to work), this should fix it.  I'm
attaching the updated Types.java file - Thomas, if you could try your test
again with this one (making sure to use the newly generated WSDL), that
would be great.

Thanks,
--Glen