axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: unexpected behaviour with MessageElement constructors ..
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:42:56 GMT

Ick.

I would think these two constructors would be the "right" thing:

   public MessageElement(String localPart, String prefix, String namespace)
   public MessageElement(String localPart, String prefix, String namespace,
Object value)

But I suppose there is no way to reorder the existing arguments.

How about we add the prefix argument to the second call? Like:

   public MessageElement(String localPart, String namespace, String prefix,
Object value)

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjiva Weerawarana [mailto:sanjiva@opensource.lk]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:25 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: unexpected behaviour with MessageElement constructors ..

org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement has as constructors the
following (amongst others):

    public MessageElement(String localPart, String prefix, String namespace)
    public MessageElement(String namespace, String localPart, Object value)

I wanted to create the following as a header:
    <a:yy xmlns:a="urn:xx">hello</a:yy>

So, I did:
    new MessageElement ("urn:xx", "yy", "hello")
of course that doesn't work .. it uses the wrong constructor and creates
    <yy:urn:xx xmlns:yy="hello"/>

Not quite the same thing. I of course could work around it by casting
"hello" like this: (Object)"hello".

While strictly not a bug, this is a bit weird and error-prone and hence
should be fixed IMO. My preference would be to remove the first of
the above constructors .. but clearly that's not backwards compatible.

Sanjiva.