axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@tmax.co.kr>
Subject RE: Using SAAJ-1.2 API to modify the soap header/body content
Date Sun, 06 Jun 2004 08:31:10 GMT
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your pointing the issues out. As a contributor of the SAAJ 1.2
implementation in Axis (with Dr. Ahn), I have to admit that he and I already
made our own (refactored) Axis satisfy #1 and #2. He created DOM recorder
for #1 and I refactored the whole org.apache.axis.message package for #2. As
for #2, org.apache.axis.message.Node was created and
org.apache.axis.message.MessageElement and org.apache.axis.message.Text
extended it.

However, those changes are quite big and wide, so we need to modify Axis a
lot. Now we are in the middle of finalizing Axis 1.2, I don't think such
large changes will happen to this upcoming version of Axis. Personally, I
often have felt that contributing #1 and #2 to the current Axis base seems
pretty difficult and consider re-structuring the SAAJ part with Axis NG
(Next Generation).

What I'm designing regarding Axis NG is a complete implementation of JAX-RPC
2.0 and Web Services Metadata for high performance with StAX (streaming
parser). I'm planning to open my thoughts on that as soon as JAX-RPC 2.0 and
JAXB 2.0 early drafts are unveiled around JavaOne 2004. Briefly, I'd like
Axis NG to use StAX when deserializing/serializing between SOAP messages and
SAAJ instances. In addition, Axis NG will use JAXB 2.0 to unmarshal/marshal
between XMLs and Java instances with StAX. JDK 1.5's metadata enables users
to develope web services just like JSPs with WSM and generate portable
artifacts for web services (both client and server) runtime from an
annotated seed class.

I'd like to hear your opinions about Axis' future, in particular, 1.3 and NG
even though it's a little early. :-)

Regards,

Ias