axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Tom Vasset" <tom.vas...@tomra.no>
Subject RE: Axis and DHCP
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 10:48:12 GMT
After more testing I found that my service is deployed, regardless of
the exception being thrown. When I looked at the source for the
SessionUtils class (1.2beta), I see that the
java.net.UnknownHostException is caught and "localhost" used as default
hostname (which in this case works, as I'm deploying locally).

The use of java.net.InetAddress to find the host IP address should still
be rooted out (wherever this is used) as it is definetly not safe with
DHCP.

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: 13. mai 2004 12:38
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Axis and DHCP

Tom Vasset wrote:
> I deploy my web services programatically using the AdminClient class:
>
> String[] opts = {"-p8090"
> ,"-lhttp://"xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8090/axis/servlet/AxisServlet",
> deployFileName};
> new AdminClient().process(opts);
>
> Why isn't the hostname I give in with the -l option used in the
> org.apache.axis.utils.SessionUtils class? I also tried the -h option,
> but I still get the "java.net.UnknownHostException: dhcp: dhcp"
> exception below. Either Axis does not work with DHCP or this must be a

> bug?
>
> Tom

1. we should find and factor out all places we look up our hostname into

one single place, that way we could flip to the NetworkInterface
mechanism in the near future.

2. I use DHCP all the time, so there must be other quirkyness. Or you
are using a bit of the system I don't. The area I find trouble is
802.11b ad-hoc, but that is a special troublespot all round.

3. With a factoring out of the stuff into one place, we could add in
reflection to java1.4 interfaces and other thing, and better error
handling.

4. If this failure is just in some code to generate unique numbers,
well, there are better ways to do that too. hostnames arent that random.