axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject Fwd: NDAs and TCKs
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 03:03:48 GMT
Process is the same for any committer...

-- dims

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Geir Magnusson Jr <geirm@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:17:32 -0400
Subject: NDAs and TCKs
To: members@apache.org

Members :

There was a question in the member's meeting about the current
situation with the ASF, TCKs and NDAs.  As the person grinding through
this on behalf of the ASF, I thought I should explain.

Currently, we have several projects, including Axis and Geronimo, that
are interested in proving that their implementation of Java
specifications of the Java Community Process ("JSRs of the JCP", in the
lingo....) pass and are able to be called compliant.  To do so, there
are test suites called "TCK" (Technology Compatibility Kit) that are
provided by the spec lead to ensure that implementations work as
expected.

Because of the IP protection policies and licensing requirements, these
TCKs are available to us under license, for example, the J2EE license
that the ASF signed last November.  These materials are licensed to the
ASF, and the ASF is under an NDA to keep this material safe and handle
in a responsible way.

To do so, we have an NDA available for project participants to sign.
This NDA is between the ASF and the signer.  (Sun Microsystems is *not*
a party to the NDA.)  The NDA can be found here :

http://www.apache.org/~geirm/ApacheNDA.pdf

So, if you need access to a TCK for testing an Apache project :

1) Get, read, print and sign the NDA.

2) Fax to me  : 203-665-6400

3) I will verify, log and then forward the paper to Jim for safekeeping
in the Hallowed Archives at the Hall of Justice.

4) let me know what TCK.  Either we have access, in which case it's
handed to you, or we have to apply for a scholarship* for it, and I go
through that process, then get it and hand it to you.

I am working to improve the process as we learn how it works best, but
it's rather "low-intensity" and while there are some stumbles so far,
it seems to be moving decently...

Questions?

geir

* scholarship : one of the great achievements of previous JCP work of
Jason, Chuck, et al was that non-profits, individuals and academic
groups may apply for a 'scholarship' for TCK access.  This means that
the support and licensing fees are waived by the TCK provider.  Apache
is taking advantage of this to provide TCKs and support for same to our
development communities that want it.

geir@4quarters.com