axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Volanis, Alexander" <AVola...@rsasecurity.com>
Subject Patch: Memory leak in DeserializationContextImpl.parce() fixed
Date Mon, 31 May 2004 05:22:02 GMT
Hello Axis Developers,

We use Axis 1.1 in one of our products and as a result of a number of
performance tests we identified a memory leak in
org.apache.axis.encoding.DeserializationContextImpl.parse() method. The
way the code was attempting to remove the reference to "this" from the
instance of SAXParser is just plain wrong. Looking into Xerces code for
the SAXParcerImpl.setProperty() method null is not an acceptable value.
I added a NullLexicalHandler inner class that can be used to remove the
reference and allow memory to be released. Although it is not
significant under light load conditions the complexity of the messages
and the load can cause the pool of SAXParser instances maintained by
XMLUtils to grow significantly. The amount of memory that is held by
each instance of DeserializationContextImpl can be significant as the
message size grows. Examining the system with Jprobe helped us identify
the source of the problem and make this change which corrected the
problem for our application using Axis 1.1 Final.

The attached unified diff is against the latest CVS for Axis 1.2. The
exact same code would work in 1.1 as well, the diff is trivial to apply.

I do not have CVS accees but I used the ViewCVS facility to download
version 1.81 of this file and make the changes. Would anyone of the
commiters care to verify this fix and apply?

Regards,
Alex Volanis