axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Jarek Gawor" <ga...@mcs.anl.gov>
Subject RE: About JAX-RPC 1.1 compliance of JAXRPCException and ServiceException
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 06:26:04 GMT

> Yes, actually what you did is overriding inherited methods,
> not declaring
> new methods. However, for example,
> javax.xml.rpc.JAXRPCException in JAX-RPC
> 1.1 API has no its own printStackTrace methods, which means
> you are required
> to use the inherited printStackTrace methods from Throwable and not to
> override them with your own implementations. If
> JAXRPCException can override
> them, its API documentation states them explicitly.
>
> That's how Java standard APIs (java.* and javax.*) go.
> Implementing the APIs
> needs to follow all the declarations specified in the spec exactly.

Is there a document somewhere explaining this policy? In this particular
case I find it hard to believe that I cannot override functions like this.
Anyway, IMHO the way it is now (without the overrides) it's not very useful
as most programs will probably just log the error or display the stack trace
but not actually dig into the chained exception and the cause information
will be disregarded.

Jarek