axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Darren Marvin" <...@it-innovation.soton.ac.uk>
Subject Creating new Provider implementations
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:43:14 GMT
Hi,

I would like to write my own Provider implementation in order to provide
extra information to a Java service beyond just arguments or the SOAP
body. Is this a wise thing to do? My concern is that BasicProvider is
not an interface but an abstract class which implies subtle dependencies
that may cause operating problems for my implementation in the future if
the BasicProvider class is changed. I acknowledge that all the
interesting Provider implementations extend the BasicProvider and
therefore suggest that BasicProvider (and JavaProvider) are stable but
is it wise to conclude this? I would normally expect to implement an
interface so that there is less coupling. I could be making a big deal
out of nothing of course or even worse missing something important :O)

Thanks,

Darren.