axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: [FYI] build result with Tiger
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:17:24 GMT

Let's not put these kinds of changes in to 1.2, as Tiger isn't going to be a
factor for a while...

In the mean time, we should be getting 1.2 out the door.  Hopefully Glen
will start driving this again.  Right Glen?  :-)

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 6:37 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: [FYI] build result with Tiger

Ias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the first public release of J2SE 1.5 codenamed Tiger, I built Axis
and
> got the result attached to this message. I ran "ant clean compile" and it
> actually failed with no wonder. The main reasons are
>
> 1. newly introduced "enum" keyword
> 2. JAXP 1.3's DOM level 3 interfaces
>
> I hope to resolve enum issue first and next take a look at JAXP 1.3's
> changes.

Enum is going to be trouble. As well as moving the entire package (which
may brake existing code), you need to add enum to the list of reserved
words that WSDL knows about when naming things. Which will also break
anything that imports WSDL where enum came out as a method, field, etc.

That does not mean that we cannot do it, just that it needs to be
documented as a 'known incompatibility between Axis 1.1 and 1.2' (or 1.2
and 1.3, depending on where the change goes)

And that is the big question really: when does the change go in?

-steve