axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: jUDDI Gump build failing
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:02:19 GMT
Anou Manavalan wrote:
> Dims,
>
> Looks like the init method has started throwing servlet exception. Our
> method that calls init method is not coded to handle it, so the code
> compilation has started failing.
> If we catch that exception or if we throw it again, the users who are
> using ours will have problem, when they have old Axis.  Do you see what
> I say ?
>
> regards,
> -Anou

Anou, I replied to this but got bounced from the juddi dev as I am not a
subscriber. Here is the salient part of the message again:

init() is part of HttpServlet's public interface, and in that base
interface the method is listed as throwing a ServletException.

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/sdk_1.3/techdocs/api/javax/servlet/GenericServlet.html#init()

Adding that signature to the API was (a) requested by someone extending
and (b) fixing something we should have done from the beginning.

I am sorry we broke your code, but the interface says we should be
throwing it anyway, so now we are, even though the normal Axis
implementation doesnt actually throw it -only declares its intent to
throw it.