axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Fw: Publication of XML-binary Optimized Packaging (XOP) and republication of MTOM.
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:26:34 GMT
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> FYI .. this is what we should be implementing as future of
> attachments stuff (and instead of attachments in Axis/C++).
>
> Sanjiva.

why.

seriously. why. Is it really the best solution?

It, like the SwA1.1 proposal kind of hack the upstream bits of the
system by appearing to pull mime attachments into the XML doc, somehow
enhancing the XML parser so that XML elements can contain megabytes of
text inside.

But you dont get

-the ability to inline the binaries. So you cannot realistically send a
200 page XML book to a printer with all the pictures at the end.

-the ability to work without MIME support in the runtime. so
ultralightweight stuff need a mime tag

All it does is save bandwidth over base-64 (but not over SwA), and bring
  binary attachments into the infoset for the benefit of things like
signing, XSLT, etc.

I often do lan stuff where binary is irrelevant, but streaming is not,
cost of RAM in devices like printers means that you cannot hold
arbitrary binaries.

I think it would be more sense to add a new encoding option alongside
MIME and DIME, and in this new one we just embed binary data inline with
a length delimiter first. That is an extension to XML that works just as
well with REST as SOAP.

Failing that, we improve our base-64 handling