axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Diephouse <...@envoisolutions.com>
Subject SOAP Encoding questions in 1.2
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2004 16:59:27 GMT
I've been looking at the 1.2 branch and have a couple questions about
how encoding is handled as well as some possible bugs.  I think they
refer to a couple of the major commits in the last month or two which
have caused known problems.  (Like:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=axis-dev@ws.apache.org&msgNo=25209)

I am just trying to make sense of SOAP and AXIS...

1. In 1.1 my services were serialized using the XSD types for primitives
not the soap encoding types (ie xsd:string not
{http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding}string).  Now WSDL outputs
(which according to bug 25533 is broken) types for my primitives using
xsd.  However, when my service is run Strings come out as
soapenc:string.  So my first question is, for SOAP 1.1 services is there
a right encoding?  Should I generally be using XSD or SOAP encoding?  Or
can you use both?

2.  Why are java primitives not registered in
DefaultSOAPEncodingTypeMappingImpl?  For example -
java.lang.Boolean.class is registered but not boolean.class.

3.  My service are registered in the soap encoding namespace.  So, my
<typeMappings> in my WSDD are put in the TypeMapping registered under
the SOAP 1.1 URI (ie - DefaultSOAPEncodingTypeMappingImpl).  Which
means, that my service will use those types first - instead of the XSD
types.  I don't believe this was the case before.  Was this
intentional?  (I guess this ties in closely with question 1 or is a
rephrasing of it).

Thanks,

Dan

--