axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Performance issues with Axis 1.1/1.2 (Java)
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:03:56 GMT
Chetan Lalye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With regards to  performance, has there been any performance
> analysis/measurements \
> done with Axis.  I've been reading articles where other WS vendors claim
> that their \
> implementation is 4x times faster then Axis. (However the comparison was
> with Axis \
> 1.0 )
> Can the axis developers please comment on this issue with respect to 1.1
> and the \
> upcoming 1.2 ? Are there any performance improvements in 1.2 ?

There has been some encoding tuning which should make messages smaller,
but otherwise I dont know of any major performance tunes.

I think nobody would disagree that performance profiling and tuning of
Axis would be a good thing. It just so happens that the few developers
that are highly active in the project (mostly Dims and Tom, right now),
are too busy with firefighting fundamental bugs to worry about
performance. i.e. if we cannot get intraoperability between Axis and
Axis on the same machine sending xsd:time info around, performance seems
less of an issue.

Also the system was designed for flexiblity, rather than out and out
performance.

That said, if you want to put in some effort profiling Axis on your
system, identifying areas of trouble, that would be a good move.
Submitting patches to tune performance would be even better, because it
can take time to fix performance issues.

I dont know if we could get a 4X speedup however, I wonder what
'benchmark' they are using. XML parsing has a lot to do with the overall
time.

-steve