axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Ias" <iasan...@apache-korea.org>
Subject RE: Returning results from a doc\literal service
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:34:06 GMT
> hi all,
>
> I have a document literal question. This is about returning
> results from a document literal service.

First of all, a response message is totally up to its WSDL definition. You
can't judge whether a response SOAP message is correct or not with only a
method signature regarding doc/literal style. (rpc/literal may allow that
though.)

> Case 1 :: Imagine we have a doc\lit service that returns a
> complex type.
> For example
>
>   public Order getItemCount(Invoice inv){ }
>
> Shold the response SOAP body look like below.
>
> <soapenv:Body>
> <ResultGetItemCount>
> <order ........>
> </order>
> </ResultGetItemCount>
> </soapenv:Body>
>
> What should be the root element ???? Is it correct to get the
> <ResultGetItemCount> as the root element ????
>

> Case 2 :: If doc\lit service returns a simple type what
> should be the root element ???
>
> public int getItemCount(Invoice inv){ }
>
> Shold the response SOAP body look like below.
>
> <soapenv:Body>
> <ResultGetItemCount>
>  <itemCount>23</itemCount>
> </ResultGetItemCount>
> </soapenv:Body>
>
> What should be the root element of this type ???
>
> I am really thankful for any comments/ or pointers to a
> document that I can find answers.

You may be confused with rpc/literal and doc/literal, and even wrapper style
in JAX-RPC. I think WS-I Basic Profile can show you more clarity on those
concepts and usages. See
http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/Basic/2003-08/BasicProfile-1.0a.htm , in
particular, rpc/literal's wrapper elment and differences between rpc and
doc.

Best wishes,

Ias