axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Jordahl <t...@macromedia.com>
Subject RE: New Article on Web Service Styles and Uses
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:10:57 GMT
Interesting article.  I don't know if he really shines a clear light on document vs. RPC, but
he does try.

Comments:

> "First a warning. Our Axis walkthrough will travel down several different avenues towards
a document/literal Web service. All will prove dead ends because, while Axis purports to support
document/literal, it actually doesn't. So really, this section is merely an academic exercise.
The lessons, though, extend beyond Axis."

Ouch!

> "The Axis WSDL2Java's default code-level behavior for document-style binding is to wrap
if possible. There is an option, --noWrapped, to turn off wrapping and use an orthodox document
binding, but it's not yet implemented."

This is not true. We will turn off all wrapped processing in WSDL2Java if this switch is present.

> "Any XML attributes in a complex type are expressed in a returned instance as elements.
This is because Axis-and JAX-RPC 1.0-don't support attributes. Check the generated Java classes."

I can believe there are bugs here, but we DO support attributes in complex types.

> "Arrays are expressed as SOAP-encoded arrays, not as multiple-occurring elements, which
literal usage requires"

This *really* needs to be fixed.  I know we have (at least) one open bug on this.  Anyone
have any cycles?

--
Tom Jordahl
Macromedia Server Development