axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From "Kellogg, Richard" <RKell...@MICROS.COM>
Subject RE: Axis and NIO
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:02:09 GMT
Question: How much longer do we plan on supporting JDK 1.3.x?  I know we plan on supporting
it in Axis 1.2 but what after that release?  Would we gain any performance increases by requiring
JDK 1.4.x?  Food for thought.

Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Loughran [mailto:steve_l@iseran.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 12:58 PM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Axis and NIO

Josh Rehman wrote:
> I was referring to the client portion of Axis.

It is lower on the priority list. Maybe you could get Jakarta's
httpclient code to support NIO; axis would get it transparently.

The area where NIO would matter is in binary file support: attachments.
Maybe something could be done there with an NIO reader of files, but
because Axis is designed to work on Java1.3, we have to be able to
support an NIO-free system