axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Eric.D.Fried...@wellsfargo.com
Subject RE: Java1.3 (was Re: Axis and NIO)
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:23:27 GMT
Juha's argument is pretty specious -- there's nothing in the reflection APIs
that's changed dramatically in 1.4; rather, the changes are in the VM
itself.  So it's entirely possible to use a codebase that's 1.3 API
compatible on a 1.4 VM and get the same performance gains in reflection.
Indeed, it's a good idea to do just that.

Wanting to use the new APIs is a separate issue.  There's lots of good stuff
in there, but that's not related to the reflection performance issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anderson Jonathan [mailto:anderson_jonathan@bah.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 11:19 AM
To: axis-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: RE: Java1.3 (was Re: Axis and NIO)

Juha Lindfors from JBoss informed me at JBoss Advanced training that they'd
made the decision to require 1.4+ for JBoss 4 based almost exclusively on
the performance increases when using reflection.    I know Axis uses
reflection as well, just not sure how much.  JBoss uses is extensively
(JMX).  He went on, "plus, there was some stuff in there we'd like to use as
well."  :)

	-Jon