axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: Axis and NIO
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 18:22:34 GMT
Eric.D.Friedman@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> Josh,
>
> What did you have in mind, exactly?  I'm at a loss to imagine how you would
> use non-blocking, multiplexed IO on a client, but I confess to not having
> had any coffee yet.

NIO also gives you minimal-copy transfers; you read from a file into a
buffer and if the OS/java runtime supports scatter/gather IO you can
feed that buffer straight to the LAN card without any copying. Same for
handling responses, though that is more complex.

NIO could benefit attachments; as the rest of SOAP is XML based, the
parser is the bottleneck. Now if an XML pull parser could use NIO
channels as a datafeed...