axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Verisign DNS changes and impact on web services
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:07:03 GMT

I've been doing some experiments on what effect the DNS changes have on
Axis and the .NET stack; notes are up on : http://www.iseran.com/Steve/blog/

essentially both bail out with unhelpful error messages at the 302
redirect sent back from the spoof http server that appears at every
invalid .com address. This redirect is sent back *after* the post, so
you end up posting everything once before getting to the brick wall.
Everything breaks properly; the only issue is that the response codes
are not obviously 'wrong endpoint'. Do you want to deal with customers
saying they keep getting '302(found)' messages?

We could fix axis to recognise this specific situation
-error code = 302
-location header = sitefinder.verisign.com

and map it into a java.io.UnknownHostException to throw upstream; this
may be more meaningful.

This would be an ugly hack, but what verisign have done is an even
uglier hack.

What we cannot do easily is recognise trouble at anything other than
port 80; hitting an endpoint http://invalidname.com:8080/ is going to
result in a connection refused error instead.

Maybe we should just make sure the full endpoint URL goes into the
fault, so that people can look at it easily.