axis-java-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: MIME-attachements bigger than 2GB?
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:59:02 GMT
Jens Schumann wrote:
> On 9/26/03 07:20 PM Kellogg, Richard <RKellogg@MICROS.COM> wrote:
>

>>I disagree.  They should probably look into some other technology.  If they
>>are sending a binary file, the conversion to MIME is quite costly.  I would
>>recommended using a custom servlet or something along those lines.  At a
>>minimum look into some sort of compression.
>

> Same feeling here.
>
> Jens

Well, if you are going to get the benefits of WSDL and the soap toolkit,
  including things like packet signing, etc, you need everything to be
SOAP based, and everything inside the xml payload. SwA1.1 adds the
attachments 'inside' the XML by tricks of reference, so you can sign the
data.

Also, what people do on their own lans is up to them. Really, bandwidth
is cheap on a wired network. That said, I'd use a chunked protocol if
possible for reliability, and to avoid having to buffer that much on the
far end.